Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Alumni Spotlight: Kerry Goff



Name: Kerry Goff
Graduation Year: May 2010
Degree Earned: B.F.A. Theatre (Acting/Directing Focus) Minor: Musical Theatre
Current City: Fredericksburg, Texas
Current Job: Artistic Operations Manager, Fredericksburg Theater Company

Why did you pick McMurry?
There were a number of reasons that attracted me to McMurry. It was a small university with great teacher to student ratio, it had a relative closeness to my hometown of Fredericksburg, and within the department of interest, had a theatre program that gave students the opportunity to direct full length productions.

What was your favorite show you were apart of at McMurry?
 I was apart of so many production during my time at McMurry, but my favorite one has to be my full length directed project. In the summer of 2009 I directed The Fantasticks. The cast was a mixture of current McMurry Theatre students, former McMurry Theatre students, two McMurry facility members, an Abilene Christian University student, and a very talented actor from the community. In addition, it was a musical I almost totally immersed in, serving also as the set designer, light designer, and the summer season’s general manager.

Please give us a peek at your favorite memory from college (if you can pick just one)?
My favorite memory from McMurry has to be preparing for the Homecoming Musical. That particular production was our biggest show of the year, so it was always “all hands on deck” when we started to prepare for it. The beauty of the Homecoming Musical was that it included many students outside of the department to participate in the production including facility members.

What was you favorite theatre class to take?
Advance Scene Design. This course is taught by Charlie Hukill, and he does a wonderful job taking you on a journey from the beginning of time all the way to the post-modern era of architecture and furniture styles through slides and lecture. This course gave me a great understanding of the different periods of architecture and how to recognize those periods when designing.

Be honest, how was the transition from college to the “real world”?
Being a non-traditional student when coming to McMurry, I had experienced a taste of the real world. Going back to the real world after college was rewarding, but posed many challenges, as does entering any new job or career. However, once you find your rhythm it gets easier and fun. I am proud to say I have found my rhythm.
  
Do you think your (theatre) education at McMurry prepared you?
Absolutely! McMurry prepared me as a theatre generalist and gave me hands on experience and training that I use everyday in my career.

What lead you to your current job?
I had been a volunteer actor for the Fredericksburg Theater Company before attending McMurry. As it was time for the founder of the theater to turn the reigns over to new leadership, the call came to me during my senior year if I would be interested in the position. After a few rounds of interviews, I was hired as the new artistic leader for FTC.

Tell us a little about your current job.
I serve as the company’s Artistic Director, but I also wear the hat of Technical Director and Facilities Manager. I am charged with the responsibility of picking the season lineup, along with hiring guest talent to fill roles of director and designers. I also direct a minimum of two production yearly, and design around three productions a year. I am also a youth theatre instructor for our Freddyburg Youth Theater program that my wife, Ashleigh, is currently program director of.

What is your favorite thing about your current job.
I love being able to direct shows I have deep passions for, on top of getting to work side by side with my wife, Ashleigh, who choreographs for me when I direct musicals. I also enjoying the opportunity to continue to act outside of college. FTC has given me the chance to continue to be active on the stage too.

Give any advice you can to current or perspective students.
Go to class! It is truly easy to get out of bed and go to class. Going to class is where you will learn very important material that you will end up using in the professional world. I also recommend every theatre student to audition for every production. You will gain valuable experience in every audition, not to mention the experience you will receive when you are cast. The McMurry Theatre Department is there to give you the training and experience necessary for a career in the arts. It will be up to the individual student to take advantage of that training and become the best theatre generalist there is.

What do you miss most about college life
I miss the strong sense of community that college life offers. McMurry is such a great community of many different people and activities. I applaud McMurry for providing such a wonderful environment to learn and have fun in.

If you could change one thing about your time at McMurry, what would it be?
I would have pursed a minor in religion. McMurry has such a strong religion program. I wish I had taken advantage of that program early in my college life, to take the appropriate classes necessary to gain a minor in that field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment