Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Alumni Spotlight: Sally Steele





Name: Sally Steele
Graduation year: 2011
Degree earned: B.A. in Theatre (Acting & Directing focus)/English
Current city: Fort Worth, TX
Current job: I’m currently a Production Assistant/Assistant Stage Manager and Assistant to the Technical Director at Stage West.


Why did you pick McMurry?  I wanted somewhere that wasn’t close to home and Abilene was five hours away.  And after attending a small high school, the size of McMurry was appealing.  I applied to other places including ACU, but McMurry was just the right place for me.

What was your favorite show you were a part of at McMurry?  It’s impossible to choose one but some of my favorites were A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum,  Medea, A Fitting Confusion, and The Boys Next Door.

Be honest, how was the transition from college life to the “real world”?  The transition was difficult and scary, a lot like how I felt when I was first starting college.  It does get easier, the most important part is to stay focused on your dreams.

Tell us a little about your current job.  During the day I work in the shop with the technical director, building sets and things of that nature.  We’re currently going through some changes so I’ve had a chance to learn about basic construction as well.  I attend all auditions, rehearsals, and performances to fulfill my duties as the production assistant, which is similar to an assistant stage management position.
   
What is your favorite thing about your current job?  The best thing about my job is that I’m getting to do what I love.  It’s also allowed me to see that theater is what I’m meant to be doing, because I wouldn’t be happy doing anything else!  I work with great people and there’s always something new to learn, so it never gets boring.  Being the production manager is very gratifying in the fact that the position was recently created, just for me.  So in that respect, it’s an honor to be doing what I’m doing at Stage West.

What lead you to your current job?  I was working at Gap in the mall and hated it, so over the summer I sent out emails to several different local theaters saying that I was a recent college graduate and was interested in any positions that might be available.  The stage manager at Stage West emailed me back, we set up an interview, and I began work.  Because those hours were limited at the time, I was still working retail and was ready to quit.  Thankfully, the technical director was also needing someone to help, had seen my resume and asked whether I was interested in coming to work for him.  I jumped at the chance, and the rest is history.

Do you think your (theatre) education at McMurry prepared you?  Most definitely.  The professors have a lot of knowledge and experience, and I wouldn’t have this job if it weren’t for them.  The internship that many students are offered is a great place to learn as much as possible, because it gives them hands on experience as far as the actual construction that is required for a performance, including the set, props, and costumes.

What was your favorite theatre class to take?  Again, it’s impossible to narrow it down to one, but I really enjoyed Acting I & II, Playwrighting, Makeup and Directing.

Give any advice you can to current or perspective students.  Regardless of how boring a class may seem, or how much you may dislike a professor, go to your classes and pay attention.  If you don’t, you will truly regret it.  The professors are there for a reason and you’re in the wonderful position of getting as much experience as possible, so don’t let the opportunity go to waste!  If you truly want to become a professional in the business, all of this will pay off after graduation.  Furthermore, the theatre management class is worth every minute of your efforts, and very much an eye-opener into what takes place in a professional theater.

Please give us a peek at your favorite memory from college (if you can pick just one).  My best memories from McMurry were from time spent in Ryan.  Work calls, strike, rehearsals and performances were all time well spent and very much enjoyed, because I was around friends and having a wonderful time!

What do you miss most about college life?  I miss the people!  There was always someone to talk to in the green room, or a group of people to hang out with before rehearsal.  Other than that, I miss having so many chances to perform.  I also miss the theater itself.

If you could change one thing about your time at McMurry, what would it be?  I would have been more focused earlier on.  I didn’t realize how important going to class and studying was until my junior year.  I also would have payed more attention in Stagecraft, because it absolutely essential for anyone who plans to have a career in theatre.
The final thing I’d like to say is never, ever turn down a chance to audition, or a part for that matter.  No matter the size of the role, or what the play is, it gives you more experience as an actor.  That experience is what you/your parents are paying for and it will make an enormous difference once you graduate and begin auditioning outside of McMurry.  Be grateful for the chance to do what you’re doing, because although there are more auditions in the professional world, there’s also much, much more competition.  So don’t take your performances for granted, learn from them.  Try to take in as much as you can in your time at school and afterwards, make the most out of what you’ve learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment