Saturday, December 10, 2011

Alumni Spotlight: George Levesque





Name: George Levesque
Graduation year: 1996
Degree earned: Theatre/Political Science
Current city: Abilene
Current job: News Director for KTXS Television, the ABC affiliate. I also anchor the 5pm Newscast.




What was your favorite show you were a part of at McMurry? I had a couple of favorite shows at McMurry. But I guess I’d have to say my favorite experience was the “Grapes of Wrath” that Charlie Hukill directed in 1995. I also have very fond memories of doing “Sweeney Todd” in the summer of 1991.


Be honest, how was the transition from college life to the “real world”? I loved my time at McMurry. It was a difficult transition. It took me a while to find a job where I could find as much fulfillment. Luckily, journalism is highly rewarding. I love my job. 


What lead you to your current job? I was brain-storming with Dr. Craik about what to do for a living. I had learned enough about myself to discover I would never be able to put up with going from one job to the other as a professional actor. He suggested news, years later that’s exactly where I found myself.


Do you think your (theatre) education at McMurry prepared you? Absolutely. In so many ways.


What do you miss most about college life? The reasoning behind decisions is very different in college than the business world. Casting was based on talent, and giving a student a chance. A show was chosen, often times, so that we could have the experience of doing it. Life’s choices are almost always about money. Taking chances on things, just to learn about them, is a rarity in the business world.

No comments:

Post a Comment