Monday, December 5, 2011

Student Spotlight: Jake Wade





Name:  Jake Wade
Age:  22
Classification:  Senior
Hometown:  Vernon, Texas
Major/Minor?  Theatre Major/Musical Theatre Minor


Why did you decide to come to McMurry?  I am a different kind of person when it came to picking a school. I chose McMurry because it was the one school in Abilene that my dad hadn’t gone to. Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to be different than my dad. I love my dad and I respect him so much. I just didn’t want to follow his path of ministry. It was a weird coincidence that I found myself wanting to be a youth minister. But in the end, theatre called to me; and I’ve been here ever since.

What has been your favorite show/role to be in, thus far? Why?  I really enjoyed getting to be in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I played Senex, a very creepy father and husband whose dream was to be with anyone other than his domineering wife. This role gave me the chance to have fun on stage in a way I had never had.

What show are you looking forward to most this year?  I look forward to all the amazing experiences with the upcoming shows. This year marks the last time I may get to be in a Charlie or David show; and for those of you who have been in one of their shows, this is a big deal. But other than that, I look forward to strengthening relationships with all the professors and other majors and minors.

What do you like most about theatre? Why?  I love most everything about theatre, but what I love most is the imagination that goes behind the technical aspects. I have seen some amazing spectacles in our theatre department in these last few years. And I can’t wait to apply them to my future aspects.

What other activities are you involved in on campus? I am very involved on campus with Religious Life, Residence Life, and HEI. As of right now, I am a Resident Servant Leader in Hunt Residence Hall. This means I’m the one people can come to when they need someone to talk to.

What is finest achievement so far at McMurry?  I was honored to receive both Best Actor and Best Technician last year at the annual  theatre banquet. I never would have thought, coming to McMurry, that I would have come this far. It has been a privilege to work with so many great students and professors.

Anything else you would like to share with prospective students?  Follow your heart. If you feel like theatre is where you need to be, then push yourself. I have found theatre to be my escape from the stresses of school. This department has been my home and it can be yours as well.

What do you want to do when you "grow up"?  I plan to open a community theatre in Vernon. I never thought that would be my future path, but it is what I am most interested in doing. In fact, we are in the process right now of laying the foundation for the board of directors.

No comments:

Post a Comment